Childcare benefit

The Dutch government helps to cover part of the costs of childcare facilities through childcare benefit (kinderopvangtoeslag).

The amount of benefit depends on:

  • your income;
  • social situation;
  • number of children visiting childcare facilities.

You can easily calculate the number of hours you can receive childcare benefit for. If one parents works 38 hours per week and the other 20, subject to calculation will be the parent with fewer number of hours.


  • Nursery 20 * 52 (weeks) = 1040/12 (months) = 173.3 * 140% = 121 hours per month
  • Day-care centre 20 * 52 (weeks) = 1040/12 (months) = 86.6 * 70% = 61 hours per month

If parents work full time i.e. 40 hours per week:

  • Nursery: 40* 52 (weeks) = 2080/12 (months) = 173.3 * 140% = 243 hours per month **

**Note! Maximum number of hours cannot exceed 230 hours per month.

If the number of hours you work changes, your benefit will depend on the average annual working hours.

From 2015 new rules enter into force and a person who has become unemployed is still eligible for the benefit for the period of 6 months (before it was 3 months).

As the costs of raising children are constantly increasing, childcare benefit amounts are growing. For 2015 they equal to:

  • € 6,84 per hour – nursery – children from 0 to 4 years old (Kindercentrum);
  • € 6,38 per hour– day-care centre;
  • € 5,48 per hour – nursery – children from 0 to 4 years old (Gastouderopvang).

You must meet the following conditions to claim kinderopvangtoeslag benefit:

  • you and your partner work, study or participate in a training/course;
  • you receive child benefit (Kinderbijslag) or care allowance (pleegouderbijdrage);
  • you child is registered at the same address as you;
  • daycare facility or babysitter agency your child attends is registered;
  • you have an agreement with a childcare facility;
  • your child does not attend high school;
  • you and your partner cover the costs of childcare; part of the expenses is reduced through the benefit, but it is your responsibility to pay for childcare;
  • you and your partner have EU citizenship.

Please provide us with the following information to claim childcare benefit:

  • Personal data – on a special form;
  • Child’s PESEL number and birth certificate;
  • Certificate of child benefit entitlement (Kinder bijslag).

Please feel free to contact us for further information.


Dutch Tacx Claim
Responsive Menu Clicked Image