Unemployment benefit is granted by the UWV.
under the following circumstances:
- you are available for a new job;
- you worked at least 26 weeks out of the last 36 (if you worked for 1 day in a given week, that week is counted);
- you became unemployed through:
- termination of employment relationship (contract termination);
- dismissal with notice;
- if you became unemployed through resignation with notice you are not eligible for unemployment benefit unless:
- Your fiscal partner has changed his/her place of residence and as a result, your travel time to and from work is longer than 3 hours. In that case you are required to remain employed until the moment you move;
- Working conditions affect your health significantly. In such case you should first report that fact to your employer and try to search for solution. If this is impossible, you should report the problem to a doctor and inform yourself about prognosis.
The UWV requires that you meet the following deadlines:
- You report termination of employment relationship within 2 days;
- You apply for unemployment benefit within the first week from becoming unemployed. If you fail to meet the deadline, your unemployment benefit will start later and, as a consequence, you will receive less.
The amount of the benefit depends on the seniority and is calculated on a basis of annual earnings (if employment relationship was shorter than one year, the amount of the benefit will be respectively lower).
The benefit is paid in the amount of:
- 75% of earned gross wage in the first two months
- 70% of earned gross wage in the third and following months
Minimum term of unemployment benefit is 3 months. The benefit may be extended depending on the seniority; it can however last no longer than 38 months (3 years and 2 months).
If X worked for the same employer for the period of 7 years, the length of the benefit is 7 months.
After claiming the benefit, a confirmation from the UWV will be sent to you and within the next 4 weeks you will receive the decision with the information on benefit starting date and its amount.
The benefit is paid every 4 weeks from the date of registration.
Please remember that any changes in your life situation shall be immediately reported to the UWV!
Loss of hours
If you have lost at least 5 work hours per week, you may request partial unemployment compensation. The conditions are the same as in case of applying for unemployment benefit. What is important, such compensation decreases the amount of capital normally available to you once you lose your job. In other words, if you receive the compensation for a certain period of time and then become unemployed, the duration of the benefit will be shortened accordingly.
Please provide us with the following information to request registration at the UWV:
- Personal data – on a special form
Please feel free to contact us for further information.