Sickness benefit depends on the type of employment contract you have. It is paid either by:
In case the sickness benefit is paid by the UWV, you must report sick to your employer who, in turn, should register you at the UWV. If it does not happen, you should report sick to the UWV within 2 days.
You will receive a confirmation of your registration at the UWV and the amount of the benefit within 4 days.
The UWV will also propose cooperation aiming at your quick recovery and invite you to meet an occupational doctor.
The amount of the benefit depends on your average income and initially amounts to 70% of your gross wage, but it cannot be higher than € 199.15 per day. The benefit includes holiday pay “vakantiegeld”.
* Under specific conditions, the amount of the benefit may be higher e.g.
- if an employee falls sick because of pregnancy, she will receive 100% of daily gross rate;
- if an employee is an organ donor and falls sick
The benefit might be reduced by the amount resulting from your partial return to work.
The amount of the benefit is irrelevant of:
- Fiscal partner’s income;
- Child benefit;
- Rent amount, healthcare benefit (Zorgtoeslag) and childcare benefit (kinderopvangtoeslag) granted by Belastingdienst;
- Volunteer charity work.
Once you have been granted the benefit, the first payment will be made after 6 weeks, and every week thereafter.
Maximum term of sickness benefit is 104 weeks (2 years).
* In some cases, e.g if the UWV delays issuing a decision, it is possible to receive advance payment.
Please provide us with the following information to request your registration at the UWV:
- Personal data – on a special form
Please feel free to contact us for further information.