According to the EU Treaties, every EU citizen is provided with access to medical care. In order to confirm that you are insured in your country of residence, you need to apply for EHIC card which is an authentication of the owned policy. Therefore, if you go abroad on holiday or business trip, you should always hold the card to be able to access medical care.
Please note that after moving or arriving in the Netherlands to work you are required to obtain the Dutch health insurance. EHIC card is only for emergencies and covers the following:
- medical treatment that becomes necessary during your stay because of either illness or an accident;
- treatment you need for a chronic disease or preexisting condition e.g. dialysis;
- routine maternity care (as long as you are not going abroad specifically to give a birth).
The card is issued individually and free of charge. It is possible for parents to apply on behalf of their underage children. The card is valid for 5 years, but you may request an extension of its validity period 6 months before the expiration date.
Please provide us with the following information to obtain EHIC card:
- Personal data – on a special form
- Insurance number and name of insurance company
- Departure and arrival dates
Please feel free to contact us for further information.